Ingredients for Shrimp Ceviche (6-8 SERVINGS):
- 2 pounds of raw/shelled shrimp (devein)
- 1 large Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tomatoes, boiled/shocked/peeled skin/cut small (will explain better in procedure)
- 12 Limes, juiced
- 2 Oranges, juiced
- 1 bunch (1/2 cup) Cilantro, minced
- Mix together the sliced red onion, juice of the 12 limes, cilantro, and 2 tbsp of salt in a bowl and reserve covered in the fridge so it marinates "pickles".
- In a pot add the shrimp and water not too much water about a cm above the shrimp. Bring to a boil or until the shrimps are curdled and a little pink. The acid from the limes will finish cooking the shrimps so we wouldn't want to over cook them it'll end up being tough. Once the shrimps are ready strain into a colander over a bowl to save the liquid. In another bowl put the cooked shrimp and start removing the meat from the shells. Discard the shells. Then mix in the juice of 2 oranges, reserve in the fridge so it also marinates.
- NOW with the tomatoes we dont want the skin so we need to de-skin it... Remove the top, make an x mark on the bottom (not too deep), bring some water to a boil then add the tomatoes, boil for about 1 min or until you see the x-marks expanding/skin removing from flesh, then shock in an ice bath (cold water/ice in a bowl) so it stops the cooking. The skin should be very easy to remove and discard, slice in half and start removing the seeds inside as much as you can. Then cut small.
- Add the pickled onions, shrimp, tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of the reserved shrimp liquid all in a bowl and mix season to taste and serve to enjoy =)
- 3 Green Plantains
- 1 stick of butter
- Water (for boiling the plantains)
- All-Purpose flour for coating the poppers
- Frying oil (i used canola oil)
- Peel plantains and cut in small pieces. Then put in a pot with water just a little above the plantains not too much lets say about 5 cups??...some salt about 2 big pinches. Bring this all to a boil on high then lower to medium high heat and cook for 45 min.
- The plantains are ready when they are fork tender very soft then turn heat off and leave the plantains inside. In a bowl add just a ladle (1/4-1/8 cup) of the cooking liquid. Add the pieces of plantains mashing all little by little (this is really an amazing arm work out hehe). You must work a bit quick because the plantains would get hard and dry. As you mash add ladle by ladle in of the liquid so the mash is a little moist and it doesn't dry up. Don't use all of the liquid lets say just about 4 ladles while i was mashing. In between i added the 1 stick of butter 1/2 in 1/2 at a time mashed and mashed and mixed all together until creamy. Taste to season with salt.
- Flour your hands because the mash is pretty sticky. grab pieces at a time and make into small balls (size of an olive) when the balls get sticky coat with flour.
- The frying oil should be about 320-350 degrees F or until you throw in a piece of the mash in it that it starts bubbling and frying. Fry the poppers until golden brown about 2-3 min. Remove and let it drain on a paper towel. Then serve to enjoy =)